Monday 28 March 2016

How To Remove Beach Sand From Natural Hair

Hello guys! Welcome back to my blog! Last week Thursday, I spent the day at Bojo Beach to celebrate my younger brother's birthday . For those that don't live in Ghana, Bojo Beach is located on the Kokrobite Road, at Bortianor, Accra.


Since Bojo Beach is separated from the mainland by the Densu river, we had to cross this natural border via a canoe(we were told they were working on their motor-powered boat).
 
This alone was an exciting and yet scary moment!
We had so much fun in the sea, making us leave with more than we went with; the extra thing being lots of beach sand!
There was so much sand buried in our hair. Getting the sand out was an extremely difficult task. I had already tried shaking it off, lightly hitting it off with a towel, and even unraveling my braids. I still had sand in my hair. I realized this was a problem that most naturals experienced and no one around me had any idea as to what I was supposed to do so I decided that by researching and writing an article on the topic, I can actually help naturals that always encounter this problem.
The first thing I realized is to avoid getting the sand in your hair. My hair was in braids so it actually minimized the sand that came into contact with my hair. It's always advisable to have your hair in braids, twists, or a puff. You can also wear a hat. If you prefer to sunbathe, it's best to carry an extra towel to lie on and not use it to dry up when you want to swim. You can also avoid putting your hair in the water close to shore since that's where the sand is more easily stirred up.
 
While in the sea, let your hair float in deep water and use your fingers to loosen the sand. This will cause the sand to drop away from the hair since it's heavier.
 
If you still have sand in your hair, the first thing to do is to try to shake and brush it off with your hand. Hold your head upside down so that the sand will not land back on your scalp. Shake off as much sand as possible.

Afterwards, rinse your hair thoroughly under the shower or pour several cups of water in different angles to remove the most sand.
You can also wash your hair thoroughly with a clarifying shampoo(I used We Naturals Black Soap with Hemp Oil; it's a Ghanaian brand) in many sections to make sure you remove the sand completely. Several washes may be necessary. Finish up with your conditioner(ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner is what I used) and you're good to go!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment